How to Find Legitimate Medical Billing From Home Jobs
If you want to land a legitimate work at home medical billing job, you’ll need to be very careful in your job search because medical billing is one of the top work from home scams, according to the Federal Trade Commission.
While it is possible to work from home in this line of work, that is not the norm, except for those who are trained and experienced. Most medical billing professionals receive special training and work in hospitals and offices. A medical biller can seek employment with a practice or work as an independent contractor from home.
A medical billing professional is responsible for billing doctor’s patients and processing insurance claims. This article provides tips for finding real job opportunities for medical billing, coding or transcription.
1. Seek medical billing training online if necessary. If you don’t have any experience, it will be necessary to get the training needed. If you don’t want to pay for an online training course, buy training books instead.
2. Visit Medical-Billing-Jobs.net and submit your resume. After posting your resume, search the site for available job openings and apply. You can also find medical billing and coding jobs on Craigslist, but I would carefully research the company posting the ad before applying. Refer to the website for the Better Business Bureau to check company ratings and possible complaints.
3. Visit job boards on well known sites like WAHM.com (Work At Home Moms). The WAHM job boad is a great resource for work at home jobs. Even if you don’t find medical billing jobs on the job board, you’re bound to find something else that interests you. It would also be beneficial to use forums on work from home job sites because people are often willing to lend their advice.
4. Instead of pursuing home-based employment with a local practice, start your own medical billing business from home. Advertise your services on free advertising platforms like Google Places, Yelp, Yahoo Local Business, Thumbtack and Craigslist.
5. Join The American Association of Medical Billers to get access to useful training material, job boards and Web-based training courses. You will need to pay an annual fee for association membership, but you’ll have access to high quality job leads.